Friday, August 5, 2011

Easiest Kitchen Curtains Ever!

I think that these cafe curtains are the easiest curtains you could make! They are just what I wanted for this area, and today I will show you the full how-to, not like you need it, they are that easy!
Here is what I was working with before. (The Colorado summer storm was rolling in, sorry for the dark pictures.) I always wanted some sort of window treatments on these windows. But I could not figure out what to do, because of the way the cabinets are so close to the window.

 How could you put a curtain rod anywhere near here without drilling into the cabinets? Thanks builder! That no longer builds in Colorado, by the way.
 So instead of drilling into the cabinets, I decided to go a different route. The hardest part of this project was taking down the existing blinds.
I got two $4 tension rods to fit in each window, and added three sets of $5 curtain rings.  Easy peasy.
(Anyone else live next to a house that has been abandoned for 4 years? Very annoying, esspeaccially in weed season.)
 Next step is to measure the area of window for your fabric. I measured, then added 4 -5 inches to the width, and 3 inches to the height for your seam allowances. (I actually did not add enough to the width, and the curtains ended up not being able to cover the entire area. It is okay because they will mostly be open, and it is not noticable, but learn from my mistakes.)
 Now you can cut your fabric to your measurements. Once you make your first cut, you will want to cut the fabric in half width wise, so you have two panels per window.
My Mom and I bought this fabric over a year ago when Wally world, aka - walmart, when they were doing away with their fabric section. It is upolstery weight, and it was only two dlaars a yard. I think I did both windows, with one yard, making the total fabric cost only 2$!
Next step is to fold 1/4" to a 1/2" on one side and press. Then fold again and press. Do this for both sides, and sew in place. Once your sides are done, you can repeat the steps for the top and bottom. Your corners should be nice and pointy. To eliminate these steps, you could try to find a cute cloth napkin that is already sewn for you, that would truly be the easiest curtains ever.  
 Yes my nails are really that awesome, and they are so easy! Check them out here! And if you are reading this before August 8th enter the giveaway here.

Once you have nice finished edges on all of your pieces of fabric, you can just clip them up, and you are done! I love how easy they will be to change when if I get tired of them.
 I think they go nicely with my fruit of the spirit plate.
 I really like them, and they are just what I wanted for the kitchen. Now I am feeling inspired to do more dishes, or maybe not!
Limking up to:
http://shabbynest.blogspot.com/
http://sassysites.blogspot.com/
http://tatertotsandjello.blogspot.com/
http://whipperberry.com/
http://brandyscrafts.blogspot.com/





2 comments:

  1. Aw, your cafe curtains look great! A handy tip for when sewing curtains is to take your total width measurement and double it. That way you'll be sure to have plenty of curtain left after hemming, they'll be sure to cover the space you intended, and they'll look nice and full weather they're open or closed. The fabric you chose is lovely, though, and even with the super close cabinets your curtains turned out beautifully! I'd love for you to pop by my blog sometime, www.icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com
    p.s. Your nails are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the curtail and that plate of yours. They really compliment each other well.

    We have a link-up party going on - Tea Time Thursdays @ Kreative Korner. I would really appreciate if you'd link up some of your awesome posts there. Hope to see you at the party.

    http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/2011/08/tea-time-thursdays-2-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...