Saturday, October 29, 2011

Celebrate

Everyone has different preferences when it comes to celebrating certain holidays. We are the same way.
One day I struggle with is Halloween. Every year I kind of dread it. Growing up I did many different things for Halloween. My hubby did a church festival, and I think that is it. Now that Brady is 3, and in school it is even harder to figure out what our family will participate in, and what we won't.
We definitely do not do scary. No ghost or witches, or anything like that. I decorate the house in fall decor, but nothing really Halloweenish. We get pumpkins, and carve them, but they are nice pumpkins.
It is hard to find where to draw the line. We could ignore the day completely. If that was the case, Brady would not have been able to attend his christian pre-school for the last month and a half. They talk about Halloween, and pumpkins and jack-o-lanterns. We probably would not go to our church's harvest festival, which kids dress up at, and are encouraged to do so. I struggle with having innocent fun, and letting the world influence our behavior too much. On one hand, Brady has no idea that Halloween is associated with anything other than candy. On the other, shouldn't we be teaching him that we are held at a different standard? So I dread it every year. And we are taking it year by year.

Last year Brady dressed up and went to our church festival, which is so much fun and also introduces kids and parents to a church and God when they otherwise might not have.  On the 31st we went to our zoo and got candy, and got to see all the animals at night. It was a great night.

On Thursday Brady had a costume parade and a little party at school. Very cute. We brought his little friends treats, and they were a big hit.





Last night we went to church and the harvest festival. My nephew, niece, and her friend won a contest for their costumes. Brady was Buzz, even though I offered to make him a great costume. Bryson was a little toy story alien with a hat I made him.

On the actual day we are going to have a few friends over, eat pizza, watch Monday night football, and pass out candy. This year, I think we are going to add some bible verses to our candy. Something about this day can be to glorify God, and hopefully touch someones heart.

So that is what we are up to this year. We reserve the right to change our minds at any time. What do you do, what are your opinions? I would love to hear input!

It is actually also my Grandma's birthday, maybe we should just start celebrating that. Happy Birthday Grandma, We love you!

1 comment:

  1. Cute. What is the yellow stuff around the owl's eyes? Some type of candy?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...